How secure is Online Bill Pay?
- Online Bill Pay is fully secure and is recommended by security experts to help protect against check fraud and identity theft.
- Multiple layers of online security and authentication are utilized to protect your information.
What types of bill payments are available?
- One-time payment: You specify the payment date.
- Automatic or recurring payment: You indicate the frequency.
What is a recurring payment?
- A recurring payment is an automatic payment of the same amount. You do not have to re-enter a new payment each month.
- Recurring payments can be scheduled for the following frequencies: weekly, every two weeks, every four weeks, monthly, twice a month, every two months, every three months, every six months, or annually.
Who can I make payments to?
You can make payments to virtually anyone using our online Bill Pay system.
Exceptions include: tax payments, court ordered payments, payments to payees outside the United States, and person-to-person payments. Please view Popmoney below for person-to-person payments.
Why do I receive a confirmation number when I make a payment?
Confirmation numbers are provided for all confirmed or modified payments. This is your assurance a payment will be processed on the date it is scheduled. It is also a reference number that can be used when requesting research.
How will I know if a payment was processed successfully?
- The Payment History will show a status of “Paid” for that particular payment. This does not guarantee, however, the merchant/payee has received or posted the payment.
- The Payment History will show a status of “Failed” for that particular payment and the system will send you a message to let you know the payment failed. The most common reason for a failed payment is insufficient funds in the account used to make the payment.
Payment history shows my payment was Processed, but my account was not debited. Should I schedule another payment for this payee?
No. Anytime a payment shows a status of processed in the Payment History, this means the payment went out to the merchant/payee successfully. The debit to your account can take up to three business days to post.
When is my account charged for the payment?
Funds are taken out of your account on the “payment date”, not when you “issue” the payment. This means the money will remain in your account until the settlement date.
New! Can my account be overdrawn with Bill Pay?
Yes. If you do not have sufficient funds on the settlement date, your bill payment will cause your account to be overdrawn. Our standard overdraft fees apply. Please note: Overdraft services are accessed first; otherwise NSF fees (non-sufficient funds) will be charged for each attempt, with a limit of two per payee transaction.
Is there a way to view previous payments?
Payment history is retained for up to 2 years. You may sort past payments by using one or a combination of the following:
- Merchant/Payee Name
- Pay Date
What if a payee notifies me that a payment has not been received?
First, contact the merchant/payee directly to verify the payment has not been received. Next, confirm your payment was processed by using the Payment History option. View the payment details and select payment inquiry to initiate a payment research by a Kern Schools team member. A Kern Schools team member will contact you within one business day.
Can I cancel or change a scheduled payment?
- Yes, you can review, change, or cancel a payment at any time before it is processed. Payments may be processed up to five days in advance of the payment due date entered.
- If you attempt to modify a payment after it has been processed, an error message will be displayed.
How will I know if an automatic payment instruction has expired?
When this occurs, you will receive a Final Payment secure message. This message notifies you the last scheduled payment has been processed. At such a time, you can also modify and reschedule your payment if you wish to continue it.
When can I begin making payments to a new merchant/payee I added?
Once a merchant/payee has been created, you can immediately begin making payments.
Can I pay someone who does not appear on my list?
Yes, simply add the merchant/payee to your Merchant/Payee List in order to make a payment to them.
How do I add a merchant/payee to my list?
Using the Bill Pay tab, select Add a Bill and then complete the requested fields.
How do I change the account number or address for a merchant/payee?
Using the Bill Pay tab, select Manage My Bills and then update the appropriate information.